Spotify has big news for the tiniest music-lovers in your brood: the company has launched a brand-new kid-friendly app just for littles, called Spotify Kids. Exclusive to Spotify Family subscribers, the ad-free app, which is currently in beta, contains music, audiobooks, educational resources, and more for kids ages 3 and up.
"Spotify Kids was born out of the desire to create a playground of sound just for kids-to build a place where younger kids can explore their favorite music and stories in a fun environment. The content is ad-free and hand-picked by a team of editors, and the experience is bursting with color," Alex Norström, Spotify's chief premium business officer, said in a press release back when the app was first launched in Ireland this past October. "Spotify Kids is a composite of playlists, which makes it easy for kids to find music and stories from their favorite movies and TV shows or hit plays on a playlist to sing along to during their favorite activity-or their least favorite chore."
Features of the Spotify Kids App
- Music. Obviously, there's going to be tons of kid-friendly music available on the app. As of now, 125 playlists and over 8,000 songs are in the library.
- Stories. More than 60 hours of audiobooks and stories - including Disney Music Group Stories, fairy tales, classic stories, and short stories - are available now.
- Bedtime Content. To add a bit of chilled out flair to bedtime routines, the app has lullabies, calming music and sounds, and bedtime stories.
- Educational Content. In addition to educational music and a playlist hub called "Learning," the app now includes a global playlist with songs to help teach kids hygiene best practices, including the Baby Shark "Wash Your Hands" song.
- Local Content. More than 50 percent of of the content on the app will be localized to the country you live in.
- "Grown Ups" Settings. To customize your kids' experiences with the app, there are a number of PIN-protected settings that give you control over various features, such as a block feature that enables you to remove particular content from your child's account and the ability to review the last three months of their listening history.
Features of the Spotify Kids App Specific to U.S. Customers
- Diverse Content. To highlight the country's melting pot of cultures, the U.S. Spotify Kids app includes "Spanish-language, country, Christian, Motown, and soul dance party playlists."
- Pop Culture Content. Like the Spotify app, Spotify Kids will tap into big pop culture moments through music, like with its Trolls World Tour playlist and Frozen playlist.
- Collaborations With Popular Kid Brands. Spotify is working with brands like Disney Music Group, KIDZ BOP, and Nickelodeon to create custom kids' content.
Spotify Kids is currently exclusive to Spotify Premium Family customers, which covers up to six users under the same roof. If you're not already a subscriber, try Spotify Premium Family for free for one month before subscribing for $15 per month. New Premium subscribers are also eligible for one month free of Premium Family before committing to a Family membership.